- Written by renowned costume designer with the most trusted instruction
- Beautiful illustrations to inspire and help you with your creativity
- A whole new section on period pieces so that you can master the costume drawings for your particular time period
Character Costume Figure Drawing will develop your drawing skills to improve your renderings. Not only is this book gorgeous and inspirational, but these comprehensive visual images carefully illustrate step-by-step how to successfully render dynamic characters with personality and life. This book presents drawing instruction with detailed breakdowns of various types of characters. Maternal? Elderly? Sassy? Sexy? It all starts with body proportion, bone structure, body masses, facial expressions, and the hands and feet. Hats, props, fabrics, and choice of medium are all thoroughly covered to ensure the ability to develop convincing lifelike characters.
Tan Huaixiang is a Professor in Costume & Makeup Design and Technology in the Theatre Department, School of Performing Arts, at the University of Central Florida, USA. She holds an M.F.A. degree in costume design from Utah State University, USA, and a B.F.A. degree from the Central Academy of Drama in Beijing, China. Tan has received costume design awards including the Kennedy Center American College Theatre Festival National First Runner-up, Kennedy Center ACTF Meritorious Achievement Awards, Regional Outstanding Teaching Artist, and Distinguished Achievement awards. She was recognized by Central Washington University, USA, for her teaching excellence and was a recipient of Teaching Incentive Program Awards from the University of Central Florida. Tan was a USITT Golden Pen Award nominee for her first edition of Character Costume Figure Drawing. Tan is a member of United Scenic Artists, Local 829.
- Includes unique three-step drawing guides that develop the sketch from stick figure to full-blown character
- Detailed examples of how to draw faces, hands, and feet
- Learn to draw realistic fabrics in a multitude of colors and textures
- NEW: Learn to draw your character based on the time period they are from
- NEW: Learn to draw children and music/dance characters.